How to Have a Healthier Relationship with Root Canal Therapy
What Is a Root Canal?
A root canal is a procedure that is done to save a tooth that has been extremely decaying or infected. In this process, tooth pulp and nerve are removed, and the dentist cleaned the complete interior after that sealed the surface. In case of ignoring the treatment, tissues around the tooth may get infected that can lead to an abscess.
What are some common symptoms?
If you require a root canal, you may experience the following symptoms:
- Persistent tooth sensitivity, particularly to heat or cold
- When eating or biting, there is a sharp ache.
- You have pimples on your gums.
- Teeth that are chipped or cracked
- Gums that are swollen or uncomfortable
- Gums that are discolored or have a lot of deterioration
What is a root canal treatment?
The infected pulp and the tooth’s nerve (found within the root canal) are removed during root canal treatment. After that, your tooth’s pulp chamber and root canal(s) are cleansed, medicated, and sealed. To safeguard and strengthen the tooth, a dental crown or other restorative treatment is used.
If you are looking for a Dentist in Modesto to get relieved from toothache discomfort or to save your damaged tooth so that your natural smile can be preserved, you can connect with Paragon Dental.
Root Canal Procedure
Root canal therapy in Modesto can be performed by a dentist or an endodontist. A dentist who specializes in the diagnosis, treatment of disorders, prevention, and injuries of tooth pulp or nerve is known as an endodontist. If you have a more complicated root canal, your general dentist may refer you to an endodontist.
The procedure will follow these steps:
- An X-ray will be taken by your dentist to evaluate how the root canals are shaped and to see if there are any signs of infection in the surrounding bone.
- After giving local anesthesia, a rubber dam (a sheet of rubber) will be placed around the tooth during treatment to keep the area dry and free of saliva.
- Drilling access into the tooth is the next stage. The tooth’s pulp, germs, and decaying nerve tissue are removed.
- After a thorough cleaning tooth is sealed but in some cases, dentists like to wait for a week.
- At the next appointment, a rubber compound called gutta-percha is placed into the root canal with interior filling.
- The tooth may need to be restored in the final step. A tooth that requires a root canal usually has a large filling, severe decay, or other weaknesses. As a result, a crown, crown, and post, or other restoration may be required to protect it, prevent it from breaking, and restore it to full functionality. Any other procedure discussed by your dentist.
Root Canal Prevention
Due to some reasons including deep decay, repeated dental processes or large fillings, etc., the tooth nerve and its pulp become infected and inflamed. To avoid a root canal you can perform some basic steps and make your tooth healthier.
- Brush at least twice a day.
- Floss at least once a day.
- Wear a mouth guard to avoid sports-related injury.
- See your dentist regularly.