If you visit a dentist, you must have seen three letters after their name, DDS or DMD. What does that imply? Sometimes your dentist may recommend you to different dental specialists. Who are they? How to understand whom to visit? Let’s answer all your queries through this blog. In the end, you will know about the different types of dentists.
General dentist – DDS and DMD
Whenever you visit a dentist either they are DDS or DMD. Dentists having DDS have gained their degree of Doctor of Dental surgery and those with DMD are Doctor of Medicine in the dentistry field. Both of these dentists are regarded as the general dentist who will take care of your overall health care. This includes treatment and diagnosis of issues like gum diseases, cavities, crowns, root canal therapy along with preventative care. The different title they have is due to the various universities they attended.
- Orthodontists – You will be referred to an orthodontist if the misalignment is visible in your jaw and teeth. Missing teeth, overcrowded teeth are also treated by them. They may give braces or retainers.
- Pediatric Dentist – As the name shows, they are kids specialist dentist who has gained additional training and experience for treating children.
- Endodontist – These specialists are related to tooth pain and root canal therapy. They help you save your natural teeth and alleviate the pain.
- Periodontists – Their primary focus is on caring for gums and the supporting structures around the teeth. Generally, you will be referred to them if you have advanced periodontal disease.
- Oral Surgeon – They are specialized in conducting surgical treatments for different injuries, problems, etc. They perform wisdom teeth removal, dental implants as the surgery is a major one for them.
If you are looking for a dentist, visit us at Paragon Dental and get treatment for your needs. We offer different types of treatment along with cosmetic dentistry services.